Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Waiting Game

Anyone who knows me in real life knows that I am not a patient person. Granted, I've mellowed out a bit since having children, but I'm still not the most patient person. That's why I'm so stressed out right now.

Yesterday, I had blood drawn for the second part of the Nuchal Translucency Test that screens for chromosomal abnormalities like Downs Syndrome. This is now standard protocol for geriatric maternity patients like myself. Anyhow, I asked the nurse if they would have my results back in time for my appointment next Monday, and she said, "Probably not."

WTH?! This is important information we're waiting on here. My OB already told me that my measurements from my ultrasound were "a little high" and that they were waiting for the second round of blood tests to make any determinations about my likelihood of having a baby with chromosomal abnormalities. I am already 16 weeks (and 1 day today) pregnant, and the window for an amniocentesis is supposed to be 16 to 18 weeks. I'll be one day shy of 17 weeks at my next appointment, so I really wanted to have my results and be able to discuss with my doctor whether or not I needed to have the amniocentesis.

I guess I'll at least have the results in time for my big appointment at the hospital on April 6th. If my test results show a high likelihood of chromosomal abnormalities, then they can take extra care to look for the signs on the ultrasound. Hopefully, everything will be just fine and the most information I'll receive at that appointment will be the gender of my baby.

8 comments:

Heather said...

I'm sure everything will be fine, but I can understand why you are so anxious. I hate waiting on important information!

Karen said...

I opted not to have the test at all. No sense in worrying about something you can't do anything about anyway. I'm having my level 2 on April 6th too.

Scarlett said...

I was really nervous too. I don't think I had a second of relaxation until I got the call from the nurse letting me know that odds were in our favor. BTW, those tests are standard for everyone now, not just geriatric patients like us. They told me that at my first doctor's appointment. I thought I missed being an "old" mom since I will still be 34 when I deliver (I'll turn 35 the next month) until the genetic counselor from genzyme told me, "Yeah, well your eggs are pretty old." O-Kay...

Lipstick said...

Oh I am so sorry you have to wait on those results. I would be anxious too because I am just that way...I can't stand to wait around for important info! Prayers just said for you.

Debbie said...

Maybe getting your OB directly involved would help. He or she can put a high stat on it??? I am not sure...I'm just thinking that they sent out the blood work and even though there are test that specimen needs to sit, there might be something the doctor can do...not just the nurse or staff...

But the results will be positive...I know that when I am concerned about something, the results turn out to be good....

Melodie said...

Debbie, I'm pretty positive that the test results will be fine, since the doctor only said the ultrasound measurements were high and didn't say anything about my original blood test results being off at all. It's just nerve racking having to wait.

Mama T said...

Yeah, I'd be anxious too. I'm sure everything is fine. You've had three beautiful children already... ;)

Nicole said...

Heyyy new here....came from Ashley Unscripted. Our blogs have the same name :) I just read the first post so congrats on your pregnancy and I hope all is well. Your kids are adorable!!! Adding ya to my blog list.... :)