Thursday, December 27, 2007

Simply Having a Wonderful Christmastime

I really wasn't looking forward to Christmas this year. After the Thanksgiving Day from Hell, I really wasn't interested in being around certain family members. Of course, I knew that if I didn't go around those particular people, I would also be missing out on spending time with the family members that I enjoy being around, so I had to go. And I guess it wasn't so bad.

I was worried about our lack of funds this year. The girls and I had been pretty sick for nearly a month, and between doctor visits and prescriptions, we spent over $300 that we really could have used for Christmas. I was also having a difficult time figuring out what to get for Emily. Sarah and Katie were easy (although finding Katie's gift wasn't - thanks, eBay!), but Emily is at that age where she likes clothes but she also still enjoys toys. After giving up on trying to figure out what she would want, I finally asked her what she would like for Christmas. Her first answer was a laptop. Once I explained to her that we couldn't afford to get her a laptop, she told me that she really already has everything that she wants or needs, which is the love that we give to her. She is so sweet! Of course, that still didn't help me.

In the end, everything turned out just fine. Katie got a plush rocking horse that talks and sings from Santa. Emily got an 18" Madame Alexander Mia Bella doll from Santa. Now her American Girl doll has a friend. And since Sarah got a new cell phone for Christmas, Santa brought her some accessories for it.

Phil and I also got some clothes for Sarah, a Princess See-n-Say for Katie, and a pink portable DVD player for Emily. The girls also got their annual Hallmark ornaments that they opened up on Christmas Eve. Katie got her Child's 2nd Christmas ornament, Sarah got a Cell Phone Christmas Tree ornament, and since Emily discovered her love for Gone with the Wind this year, she got a Rhett and Bonnie Blue ornament.

Of course the girls also got tons of gifts from all of the relatives, including several gift cards that we went shopping with yesterday. Sarah and Emily each had $70 in Old Navy gift cards, plus $30 each in cash. Emily blew all of her money pretty quickly since only the two pairs of jeans she got were on sale. Sarah still has quite a bit left to spend since everything she chose was on sale. Katie and I are waiting for the new season of clothes to come out before we use her gift cards.

Oh, and I almost forgot... Phil and I bought ourselves a new oven for Christmas. We also got some accessories to use with it, like the new pots and pans and roaster that Phil's dad got us, and my new cupcake pan and carrier that Phil got me.

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas, too!

No comments: