Friday, February 22, 2008

Fun Friday

I had quite the fun filled day today. I felt like I was going non-stop. I'm finally home now and ready to crash.

This morning, after driving Emily to school, I gave Katie a bath and got both of us ready for a playdate at Karlise's house. We made a pit-stop at Super Target to pick up some refreshments for the playdate just in case they were needed. Then, we headed out to Karlise's house for a mom-centered playdate.

At the playdate, there were a couple of CPSTs (child passenger safety technicians) there to give us information about child safety and answer any questions that we had. I didn't think I'd be interested in what they had to say, but I was totally wrong about that.

I found out that the laws in this state regarding child safety are very lax, to say the least. As far as child restraints in cars go, the only law is that children age four and under must be somehow restrained. That means that I could have Katie in a booster seat that doesn't even come close to fitting her and that would be okay under the law. I also learned that there is no law regarding a minimum age at which you can leave your child at home alone. So, apparently, if I wanted to go to the grocery store while Katie was taking a nap, I could, and I wouldn't be breaking the law. Absolutely rediculous!

After the playdate, a few of us decided to take our little ones out to the Parke Hydro Farm to pick strawberries. I really wish I'd brought my camera with me because all of the kids were just so cute. Stacy brought Stella, Heather brought Tyler, and Michelle brought Lauren. Katie loves her little friends and they all had such a good time together. Katie wasn't really interested in helping me pick the strawberries, though. She mostly wanted to just run around and play in the puddles and with her friends.

By the time we left the farm, it was past lunch time and Katie and I were ready to eat. Since it was also creeping up on time to pick Emily up from school, Katie and I stopped in at Wendy's for a nice little lunch. I was hoping she'd be finished eating early enough for us to stop in at Target to do some quick shopping, but she wasn't, so we didn't.

After we picked Emily up from school, we finally headed home. When we got there Phil was home waiting for us. He had to drive down to Sarasota for work, and wanted to take Emily with him because he knew she'd enjoy it. I was hoping that while Phil and Emily were gone that Katie would take a little nap, but apparently, the 20 minutes she slept in the car on our way home was enough for her.

Shortly after Sarah got home from school, I got a phone call from her Girl Scout Cookie Mom that she had Sarah's cookie order ready for me to pick up. So, back into the car we went to go pick up the cookies. Since my friend Heather is pregnant and in desperate need of Girl Scout cookies, I stopped by her house to deliver her cookies on our way home from picking them up. She was very grateful.

Then from Heather's, we headed up to Olive Garden to meet Phil and Emily for dinner. Our meal was nice and uneventful - just the way I like it. Sarah and Emily's bio-dad met us up there when we were finished so they could go spend the weekend with him.

We're finally home now, and I am ready to fall asleep. I doubt I'll even make it to ten o'clock tonight.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Whoa, busy day. I thought my day was busy and mine didn't include nearly half of that! LOL. Thank you again so much for dropping off the cookies. Tyler told Al all about "Miss Melodie, Katie's mom" coming. Tyler enjoyed 2 cookies before bed and I just finally was able to stomach 2 myself. Yum. Thanks again!