Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Good Friday

I was already planning to blog about this topic when my friend Karen linked to this article in her blog last night.

Last year, a few Muslims in the area were making a big stink about how the Christians and the Jews had their holy days built in to the school calendar and they wanted their holy days added, too. Well, the school board refused to do so, siting the fact that there are far more Christians and Jews in the school district than Muslims, and that if they kept adding holy days for different religions to the school calendar, we would eventually have very few days of school. The Muslims weren't satisfied with that, and threatened a lawsuit, and blah, blah, blah, so the school board decided to cut out all religious holy days from the school calendar.

So, this year, for the first time in my lifetime, school will be in session on Good Friday. I, however, will not be sending my girls to school, in observance of the holy day. It's both a matter of religion and a matter of principle to me.

The aforementioned article is about how many teachers and bus drivers are planning to use their personal days to take the day off in observance of the holy day, too. The school board states that they aren't sure how many students will take the day off, but that with so many teachers and bus drivers taking the day off, they will be combining classes and sending the working bus drivers on multiple routes to cover for the missing drivers.

Apparently, the school board considers the change in the calendar this year to be an experiment. They want to see how many students and teachers take the day off so they will know whether or not they need to add the day off back to the calendar for future years. I'm making my decision clear to the school board by keeping my girls home from school. If you are a Christian, if you believe in Jesus Christ, the son of God, I urge you to take a stand with me. If you live in my area, or any area that doesn't take the day off for Good Friday, please keep your children home from school on Good Friday. We need to make our voices heard on this matter.

7 comments:

Mama T said...

Well put. Political correctness has a way of really pissing me off.

Karen said...

Amen! I'm with you sister!

Kandee said...

Well said! I agree...political correctness will be the death of this country.

Scarlett said...

I have mixed feelings. While I feel that school should not be in session, I have a hard time keeping my child at home if we are not doing anything special in observance of the holiday that day. On the other hand, if there is no learning going on at school, I have a problem sending my kid to school to sit around in an overcrowded classroom, watching movies all day. I'm not sure what we'll do at this point. I am going to discuss it with Hayden's teacher (who is also Christian) tomorrow morning and see what plans will be for his class and his school.

Heather said...

I'm on the fence about this, so I'll save my opinions. To each their own. Tyler's not even in school yet for me to care enough. LOL.

MartaDavis said...

I don't like that Thursday and Friday are not off, like in Mexico, but different customes here in America, so I need to stick to them. On the other hand, I will be sending Joseph to school because he desperately needs all that social interaction with other kids and he loves his routine, so the more school he gets, the better. But I much rather have this week off for the Spring Break than waiting until april. All my family in Mexico are enjoying vacation at the beach and different places, it sucks that we couldn't join them

Mike said...

If my daughter were in school, I'd be sending her for an extra long day of school. Ya know, out of principle.