Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Good Books

A lot of people asked me if Emily was freaked out about getting her period. The answer is, "No, not at all." One of the reasons that getting her period wasn't that surprising for Emily, or Sarah for that matter, was because she was well educated on the matter.

So, for those of you who have young girls who haven't started going through puberty yet, here's what I did to prepare my girls for it. I got them a couple of great books to read. Then I told them that they could ask me about anything that they still had questions about.


Ready, Set, Grow! is a great book about puberty, specifically designed for younger girls. It gives easy to understand information about all of the changes a girl's body goes through during puberty.


The Care & Keeping of You is another wonderful book for girls. It teaches them all about how to care for their changing bodies. A lot of young girls are told all about getting breasts and periods, but other changes are often ignored. This books covers how to take care of things like body odor and acne, too.

There is also a companion book that goes along with The Care and Keeping of You called The Care and Keeping of Me. This book is a journal for girls to keep their thoughts and feelings about puberty related topics. I bought one of these for each of my girls, and I'll probably buy another one for Katie when she gets older, too.

Oh, and for those of you with boys, On Your Mark, Get Set, Grow! is the male version of Ready, Set, Grow!

No comments: