Thursday, January 17, 2008

Bees

Emily's school is apparently under attack from bees. On Monday, when I was picking Emily up from school, one of the other moms at the school warned me to "watch out for the bees" because "they're really bad today." And I did notice a few flying around us, but didn't think too much about it.

There have always been bees at Emily's school. There are some people who raise bees for honey all up and down the street that the school is on, with one of their main properties being directly across the street from the school. There are literally hundreds of bee boxes there.

On Monday, when I was picking Emily up from school, I noticed a news crew from the local CBS affiliate filming in the school parking lot. I wasn't sure what it was all about so I just ignored it. Then, there was another news crew, this time from the local FOX affiliate, filming across the street from the school yesterday when I picked Emily up from school. So, then I knew something was up.

This morning, I had to go into the school office to drop off some of the girls' old uniforms for the school's "Clothes Closet." While I was in there, I found out that the news crews had been there because of the bees. It seems that the bees have multiplied quite a bit and are becoming a big problem. I even heard the Principal's secretary talking to the Principal about a phone call from the attorney representing the school district in this matter. I don't know if that means that a parent is suing because they don't feel that the school is doing enough to protect the students from the bees, or if the school district is suing the bee keepers for causing the school to be overrun with bees, which puts the students in danger. Either way, the bees have become a pretty big deal.

2 comments:

Kandee said...

I'd be worried if my child were attending that school...especially if they were allergic to bees. (none of my kids are, to my knowledge)

Melodie said...

I'm pretty sure that Emily is not allergic. She doesn't have any other allergies and she was stung by one of those bees a couple of years ago. The bee actually crawled up the sleeve of her sweatshirt and then stung her while we were driving home from school. I had to pull over to remove the stinger for her.