Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Shoes

Sarah needed a new pair of shoes because her old ones were worn out and, dare I say it? Stinky. So, we went to the mall after we ran all of our errands this afternoon. I figured the least I could do to thank Sarah for her babysitting services yesterday was buy her a new pair of shoes.

She wanted a new pair of Converse. She's actually been playing around on their website designing her own shoes. So, we went to Journeys at the mall to get her a new pair. Her old pair were just plain black, but she wanted a pair with a little bit of "pizazz" this time.


Little did I know just how much extra that "pizazz" costs! But Sarah is happy with her new shoes, and since I ended up paying more than I wanted to, Sarah now owes me some more babysitting and/or chores to work off the difference.

While we were in Journeys, I noticed these shoes behind the counter.


Boy, did that zap me right back to 1985 when I got my first pairs of jelly shoes! I remember it like it was yesterday. My parents decided to pull my brothers and me out of Nativity Catholic School and send us to public school. For the first time in my life, I was not going to have to wear a uniform to school, and my mom took me to Zayre to get a few new outfits. I got three pair of pastel colored jelly shoes just like these to go with my new outfits. I thought I was SO cool!

Anyway, back to 2008. Since we were already in the mall, I decided to take Katie to Stride Rite to get her feet sized. They measured her at a size 7.5/8 in length! I was shocked because the shoes that she walked in wearing are only a size 6, and they seemed to fit her just fine.

Since they actually had a pair of sandals in her size that came in narrow, we decided to try them on. The size 8's were the correct length for her (with a little room to grow). Of course, when I held them up to the shoes she was wearing, they were practically the same length, so that explained why her size 6 shoes fit her just fine. And even though the narrow sandals fit Katie in the length, they were still too wide for her thin little feet.

We tried on another pair of sandals that did not come in narrow, but had Velcro straps, and they fit her wonderfully. I wasn't planning on getting them right away, but Katie insisted on keeping them, and when I found out that Stride Rite was having a Buy One, Get One 1/2 Off sale, I decided to go ahead and get them along with Katie's very first REAL pair of Crocs.



In my mind, I was able to justify getting the more expensive Crocs because, at half price, they only cost me $15, and I've seen used Crocs sell on eBay for about that much. So, if I sell the shoes on eBay after Katie outgrows them, then they'll have pretty much cost me nothing, right?

And they look SO cute on her, too.

4 comments:

Karen said...

Yep, love the pink crocs. Don hates Crocs. I've been wanting to get Joshua a pair but I knew he wouldn't go for spending that much money on something he thinks is the ugliest thing ever, lol. I had to get Shawn a new pair of sandals and guess what he wanted...Crocs! Peltz was having a BOGO 1/2 and so I was able to get Joshua a pair also. Shawn was soooo happy to have some Sponge Bob Crocs and kept showing them off to everyone. To this day Don thinks I talked Shawn into wanting them, lol.

Debbie said...

Love all the shoes...Well maybe not the 1985 ones anymore...But I do remember when the Jelly Shoes were so, so popular....I love all of them, but the "I scream for Ice Cream" sandals are just so adorable!!!

Heather said...

Cute shoes!

Heather said...

And, yes, the jellies are VERY cute for 1985!