Monday, September 1, 2008

Laundry Day

As most of you already know, Phil does most of the household chores around here. However, his laundry skills are not up to my OCD standards. Truth be told, most of his cleaning skills are not up to my OCD standards, but if I were to do everything myself the way I want it done, there wouldn't be enough time to get it all done.

Anyhow, back to my point. Because I want all of Katie's clothes to remain pristine and worthy of being sold or handed down, I have forbidden Phil from doing any of Katie's laundry. So, after a few weeks of me not doing Katie's laundry, she finally came close to running out of clothes to wear, and I had to do her laundry.

Now the last load is in the dryer, and all I have left to do is iron and put everything away. Speaking of ironing, that's another area where Phil and I disagree. He thinks that you should just hang up wrinkled clothes and then iron them when you want to wear them. I think that you should iron the clothes before you hang them up, that way they are ready to be worn when you decide to wear them. Plus, why not iron when you do the laundry and you have several articles of clothing to iron, rather than iron each item individually as you prepare to wear it? What's your opinion on this subject? Maybe you can help us settle our argument.

9 comments:

Karlise said...

I like my way- don't iron at all! I loathe ironing and don't do any. I mist my tshirts in the morning with plain water if they are wrinkled. Give it a quick shake and voila! No more wrinkles! I tried that spray for wrinkles too but water seems to do the trick.

I will iron if I absolutely have to but it's maybe once a year. LOL

jennifer said...

We iron as we go. DH and I iron ours and the kids clothes everyday.

Anonymous said...

Ironing? What's that?? LOL Seriously, the dryer is a wonderful tool to use to prevent you from ironing! Now of course there are the ocassional things I need to iron, especially now that I have started working again, but I usually save them up until I need to iron something and then iron everything at the same time. So I guess I'm with Phil on that one!

Debbie said...

Even though I do not do it, I would like to iron right after laundry. But by time I get done with laundry, I am too pooped to bother. When I was single I did that...Hell, I used to T-shirts, jeans, etc. Now if I am in a rush, I throw in the dryer with a dryer sheet to de-wrinkle...LOL! But now I iron almost every day or every other day, depending how sloppy I am with putting things away. My problem is that we have too many clothes and things will wrinkle anyway when hung....:(

Holly said...

What's an iron?

Melodie said...

Julie, I'd say you're more with me than Phil. He irons one thing at a time. I save everything that needs to be ironed and then iron it all at the same time. Because I hate to iron, I do it all at once so I'm not constantly ironing.

Heather said...

Umm, I last ironed maybe around Easter. LOL. I have a few things that could stand to be ironed, but I'd rather just not wear them. Logically it would make sense to iron as I launder, but that would still really only be a couple of items. Occasionally I'll throw the item (on a hanger) right near the shower and the steam will straighten it out enough.

When I worked I ironed once I needed something, but then I would iron at least 5-10 items at once and then avoid it again until necessary.

Working Mama said...

Well I like the idea of ironing everything and having it all ready to wear without worry...but, the reality is I'm either too tired or don't have time to do a big ironing event. Our new washer/dryer are LG Tromm Steam so they have the refresh cycle (which is basically like the old fashioned dryer with a wet washcloth trick - minus the washcloth). So I tend to iron when I need to. Case in point..I pulled out a skirt to wear today and it needed to be ironed and I just didn't have time to iron. So I chose another and I put it back in the laundry just to be washed again!

Scarlett said...

I don't iron. I know I own an iron (somewhere?) but it gets very little use from me. I use one of two methods - both of which have already been mentioned - either the mist and shake or the dryer with a damp wash cloth. Every once in a while I will catch Quoc ironing if he has to dress up (really up - it takes a lot to make him iron too) for work.